Thanks to Walgreens for sponsoring my writing. Help Walgreens help others! Visit their Facebook page here to learn about their charitable partners and decide which cause Walgreens will donate to with a quick vote.
Most of us will probably have been told that it is good to give back to our community. When we give back to our community, we benefit as we are part of the community. Skeptical about this? Follow me as I examine five ways we can give back to our communities.
1. Recycle – “Going green” is the It thing right now. We have green malls, green mode of transportation, green houses, green food and green household items. Recycling is one of the ways we can “go green” and when you recycle, you are doing your part in making your community and this world a healthier and better place to live in. What should we recycle? Papers, for starters. Recycling papers is one of the most common method of recycling and everyone who uses papers can do it.
2. Transportation – Again, this is another way of giving back to your community that falls in the “going green” category. When you carpool or use public transportation, you are giving back to tour community by being environmental friendly. The less pollution we have, the more we can lead healthier lives. Studies have proven that pollution endangers health. By playing your role in minimizing pollution, you can help others and yourselves lead healthier lives.
3. Adopt – This isn’t about adopting kids or pets, it is about adopting soldiers. This way of giving back to our community will probably apply most to Americans, yet I’m including it in the list since most of you reading this are Americans and you don’t have to be an American to support a soldier. Soldiers are part of communities and they protect your community. You can give back to soldiers by supporting them. There are various nonprofit organizations that help you support soldiers. Most of them do not require supporters to be residents of the US. One such organization is Adopt A US Soldier. You can support soldiers by mailing care packages, snail mailing, or emailing. Soldiers love to hear from you. Not only do you add cheer to their day, you are giving back to your community by supporting the people protecting your community.
4. Volunteer – This is the most common way of giving back to your community. There are many ways you can volunteer and many places where you can volunteer. Some examples of places you can volunteer is soup kitchens, senior citizen homes, orphanages, and hospitals. Dozens of opportunities are available for those who want to volunteer. If you want to give back to your community by giving them your time, volunteerism is your answer.
5. Donate books – Since I am an avid reader and this is a book blog, I can’t escape from listing this way of giving back to your community. Many people do not have the opportunity to buy books. There are millions of people in the world who don’t earn enough money to buy books. They don’t have the chance to read the wonderful books we read. If you are spring cleaning your bookshelves and have books you don’t want, rather than selling them to a second-hand book dealer, give them to those who want books but can’t buy them. When people read, they are educated. By giving them the opportunity to read, you are giving back to your community by helping educate the less fortunate in your community.
Don’t forget to help Walgreens help others! Visit their Facebook page here to learn about their charitable partners and decide which cause Walgreens will donate to with a quick vote. I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.